The Impact of Social Media on Cosmetic Expectations
Social media has played a significant role in shaping unrealistic expectations for cosmetic procedures. Patients are often bringing in edited images of themselves or celebrities, making it difficult for doctors to set realistic expectations. In addition, the prevalence of filtered and edited images on social media can create a distorted view of what is considered “normal” or “attractive.”
The Importance of Realistic Expectations
Patients need to be aware that cosmetic procedures cannot achieve perfection. It is important to set realistic expectations and understand that there will always be some limitations to what can be achieved. Patients should also be aware that the results of a cosmetic procedure may not be exactly what they envisioned.
The Risks and Complications of Cosmetic Procedures
All cosmetic procedures carry some degree of risk. Patients need to be fully informed of the potential risks and complications before deciding to proceed with a procedure. Some of the most common risks of cosmetic surgery include infection, bleeding, scarring, and nerve damage.
The Psychological Impact of Poor Outcomes
The psychological impact of poor outcomes from Aesthetic Surgery can be significant. Patients may blame themselves for complications, leading to negative thoughts and feelings such as self-doubt, insecurity, and regret. It is important for patients to understand that complications can happen to anyone, regardless of how much research they do or how careful they are.
Choosing a Qualified Provider for Aesthetic Surgery
When choosing a provider for a cosmetic procedure, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Board certification: Ensure that your chosen surgeon is board-certified by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. This certification demonstrates that the surgeon has met rigorous training and experience requirements.
- Experience: Look for a surgeon with experience in the specific procedure you are considering. You can ask the surgeon about their number of cases performed, as well as their complication rates.
- Communication style: It is important to feel comfortable with the surgeon’s communication style. You should be able to ask questions and feel that the surgeon is listening to your concerns.
- Bedside manner: The surgeon’s bedside manner is also important. You should feel that the surgeon is caring and compassionate, and that they are committed to providing you with the best possible care.
In addition to these factors, you may also want to consider the following:
- Location: Choose a surgeon who is located in a convenient location for you. This will make it easier for you to attend consultations and follow-up appointments.
- Fees: Be sure to discuss the surgeon’s fees upfront. This will help you to avoid any surprises later on.
- References: Ask the surgeon for references from previous patients. This can give you a better idea of the surgeon’s skills and experience.
Dr. Foti Sofiadellis is a board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of cosmetic procedures. He is committed to providing his patients with the highest quality care, and he takes the time to listen to their concerns and answer their questions. If you are considering a cosmetic procedure, Dr. Sofiadellis would be happy to discuss your options with you.
Aesthetic Surgery Trusting Your Instincts
Patients should trust their instincts when it comes to cosmetic procedures. If you have a bad feeling about a surgeon or a procedure, it is important to speak up. Do not be afraid to ask questions or get a second opinion.